[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: RFC: Stream Kernel SIG Proposal

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Thu Feb 11 09:37:09 UTC 2021

On 11/02/2021 00:03, Peter Georg wrote:

> On 10/02/2021 22.51, Brian Stinson wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021, at 13:17, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:

>>> Mike, is there any status update on individual patches applied to
>>> Stream's kernel?
>>>
>>> Can we move forward with this SIG so I can publish the information I
>>> already have?
>>>
>>> What about a Stream Plus kernel?  The directory for Stream still has
>>> no packages at all.
>>>
>>> Or delivering kpatch live security updates without a reboot?
>>>
>>> I am ready to move forward immediately if the SIG is approved.  Is
>>> there a reason to wait another "few weeks"?
>>>

>> I see your questions roughly grouped in 3 categories, correct me if
>> I've misinterpreted:
>>
>> - How do I get patches into the Stream kernel *now*?
>> Have you submitted any bugs against CentOS Stream on
>> bugzilla.redhat.com with your patches? I want to make sure, first,
>> that we have an actual answer because some of them may indeed be
>> workable for inclusion in RHEL.
>>
>> All contributions for RHEL/Stream 8 (not just the kernel) are flowing
>> through this bugzilla process for right now.
>>
>> - When can we see the new kernel workflows?
>> I don't have specific date/time when we expect to see the new-way of
>> doing kernel repos but I would check https://gitlab.com/redhat/
>> towards the end of the month. Those will be targeted at RHEL/Stream 9
>> kernels. I'm asking around about some of the work we're doing to make
>> the Stream 8 kernel sources more accessible in a format that isn't
>> just tarballs.
>>
>> - How do I get kernels that are not shipped in-distro?
>> Here's the problem as it exists right now, Kernels typically need
>> secureboot signatures on them, and we don't have the infrastructure we
>> need to make those signatures happen in the community build system.
>> We're talking about ways to enable that directly in CBS, but in the
>> meantime we plan to take community-based kernels and assist with
>> getting builds done on infrastructure that can do signing. Note: this
>> affects other packages like fwupd, grub, etc. We are absolutely open
>> to continuing to build the Plus kernel. Would it make sense to get
>> yourself, @toracat for the Plus kernel, and whoever else is interested
>> in building kernels together on IRC to talk about how to handle
>> coordination here?
>
> Please add me to the list of interested people (@pjgeorg in IRC).
>
> Let me note that I have a different goal that might be added to this SIG
> and is not part of the four goals listed in the initial proposal:
>
> 5. Package external kernel modules
>
> So far (running CentOS Linux) I have been using various different
> sources for kmod packages (and built some locally). However many of
> these officially only support RHEL (most prominent on this list: ELRepo.
> At least according to recent comments by Phil Perry. I haven't seen any
> comments by other contributors). For the time being I "fix" this locally
> [...]

Hi Peter,

Packaging of external kernel modules for Stream presents a dilemma. IMHO
you first need to decide if you are packaging for Stream as an end user
product, or if you are packaging for Stream as a development product for
RHEL.

If it's the latter, then the established procedure is to use
kABI-tracking kmod packages, and any development work done in Stream
should do likewise otherwise it may have little value in RHEL.

However, if you are packaging for Stream as an end user product, using
kABI-tracking kmod packages makes little sense as the kABI is not
stable. For example, of the elrepo kmods we have tested, around a
quarter broke on the first Stream kernel update (-257) and by the latest
update (-277), only 5 packages out of ~50 remain intact.

Therefore, DKMS seems a better technical fit for the constantly changing
ABI of the Stream kernel. One of the main objections to using DKMS in
Enterprise Linux was always the need for having compiler and other
development tools installed on production systems. As Stream is not
intended for production-ready Enterprise Linux use, but is rather a
'beta' type development product, DKMS seems a better technical fit in
these circumstances but such packages are unlikely to find a place in RHEL.

Hence I think the first thing you will need to decide is if you are
developing for Stream as an end-user product or as an upstream of RHEL,
and that will largely dictate the route you take. For me, the whole
point of Stream seems to be as a place to contribute to upstream
development of RHEL, and as such it is kmods that are exclusively used
in RHEL.

As a side note, you mentioned the use case of drivers that are disabled
by Red Hat in the RHEL kernel. What I would like to see is the
opportunity for the community (a SIG) to maintain these drivers within
the upstream Stream kernel (negating the need for a Stream-Plus kernel*)
and then Red Hat can disable them downstream for RHEL if it doesn't wish
to support them, rather than us (the community) constantly having to
re-enable (undo) something Red Hat has decided we do not want/need and
has disabled. But that can't realistically happen until we have a
totally open git repository for the kernel and all commits whereby Red
Hat can apply RHEL-specific patches downstream of Stream and what SIGs
like this are doing.

Phil

[*] Having a Plus kernel in a downstream product such as CentOS Linux
makes perfect sense, but it makes absolutely no sense where Stream is
the upstream product. RHEL now becomes the downstream, and they are the
ones who need a 'Plus' kernel for RHEL, by forking/submitting patches
against the Stream kernel to remove/disable the bits they don't want in
RHEL. Moving CentOS-Stream upstream of RHEL essentially flips the 'Plus'
kernel relationship on it's head.