[CentOS-devel] What is the expected lifespan remaining on Stream 8?

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:25:34 UTC 2021

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 3:03 PM, Gena Makhomed <gmm at csdoc.com> wrote:

> On 18.02.2021 21:40, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
>
> > Key questions I still can not find the answer to:
> > What is the expected lifespan remaining on Stream 8?
>
> The duration of the RHEL 8 Full Support Phase, 5 years.
> https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOSStream # Q7
> https://centos.org/distro-faq/ # Q13

Let me rephrase the question then, will Stream 8 ever recieve the resources to close the openness gap (provide all the resources expected of being the Upstream) before focus shifts to Stream 9?

Answer to Q7 leaves things vague:
"Around the time the RHEL 9 Public Beta is issued, an additional set of CentOS Stream repositories and ISOs will be available. The existing CentOS Stream repositories representing RHEL 8 bits will continue to be available, and changes to these bits will continue as before for the duration of the RHEL 8 Full Support Phase. At that time, the older repositories will be discontinued, although sources will continue to be available."

It sounds like if Stream 9 is released later this year then progress in closing the openness gap for Stream 8 will come to a halt.  Or as state in the FAQ: "changes to these bits will continue as before for the duration."  The fact RHEL 8 has a 5 year life span does not mean Stream 8 will ever reach a meaningful Upstream status.