[CentOS-devel] RFC: Stream Kernel SIG Proposal

Mike McGrath

mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 21:23:22 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:58 PM redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel <
centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 3:51 PM, Brian Stinson <brian at bstinson.com>
> wrote:
>
> - When can we see the new kernel workflows?
> I don't have specific date/time when we expect to see the new-way of doing
> kernel repos but I would check https://gitlab.com/redhat/ towards the end
> of the month. Those will be targeted at RHEL/Stream 9 kernels. I'm asking
> around about some of the work we're doing to make the Stream 8 kernel
> sources more accessible in a format that isn't just tarballs.
>

> End of February isn't just "a few weeks" after Jan 20th, it is over an
> entire month.
>
> I also don't care about Stream 9 right now.  Stream 8 kernel is in serious
> need to being better documented.  We were told back in December by a number
> of Red Hat employees we had been given enough information to decide for
> ourselves what we want to do.  We were also told that Stream was to enable
> us more power to contribute and RH wants to see what SIGs the community
> would like to create.  This is the most glaring area of needed help.  There
> was nothing available reasonably documenting the Stream 8 kernel.  There
> was no Stream 9 kernel available or any ETA given to one coming.  I have
> focused for over a month in documenting what Red Hat fail to.
>
> Mike indicated to just wait "a few weeks" and we would see it available in
> some official way.  It has been a few week and there is nothing.  It is not
> clear if we see something at the beginning of March or if there will be
> additional reasons it won't be til April.  It isn't clear if some git
> commits lumped multiple unrelated code into the same commit.  It isn't even
> clear if we will ever get a break down of the Stream 8 kernel.  But it
> doesn't matter, I have done the work that needs to be done and am
> requesting now to have someplace to post it.

Just under a month.  I know you don't care about Stream 9, but that's what
we're focused on right now.  I know the kernel package has been a hot topic
so you can see some of our work in progress now.

Stay tuned for a formal announcement on when this will actually be usable,
contributable, and consumable.  But for now, you can watch us while we get
things in place:

https://gitlab.com/redhat/centos-stream/rpms/kernel

           -Mike