[CentOS-devel] Announcing ROSI - RHEL for Open Source Infrastructure

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Fri Feb 26 05:34:57 UTC 2021

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 8:26 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all, as I did last month I thought I'd keep the list up to date with today's free RHEL announcement:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/extending-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux-open-source-organizations
>
> This one is targeted at Open Source projects and organizations.

This is confusing because we just got from Bex a statement to *NOT* use Red Hat subscription service if the goal is producing a Linux distribution.

His blog post is available here:
https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2021/02/03/a-guide-for-using-centos-project-code/

Now Red Hat is offering Red Hat subscription services for Fedora and CentOS Stream which both have the goal of producing a Linux distribution.

In fact, Bex's post is one of the key reasons I dismissed the RHEL offering.

Previously, with CentOS when the version of PHP contained a critical bug, I was able to release for users of CentOS a drop in replacement for the PHP package with a 15 line backported fix applied.  Going through RH Bugzilla to get the patch applied normally takes months (if it ever gets applied).  It sounded from Bex's post like using RHEL to rebuild the CentOS package is not allowed.

Does this new announcement mean there will be any revisions to Bex's blog post?