[CentOS-devel] Announcing ROSI - RHEL for Open Source Infrastructure

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Fri Feb 26 20:15:06 UTC 2021

On Friday, February 26, 2021 12:47 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> You, yet again, continue to parse words like you're dealing with some sort of language compiler instead of actual human beings.

You ask us to seek our own counsel regarding RHEL EULA. I'm parsing the language similar to how they seem to.

> Calling out people by name while hiding and remaining anonymous yourself. We know nothing about you other than you weren't here before the CentOS Linux announcement back in December. It is obvious to me that you are asking questions not to understand, but to poke holes in.

What do you need to know about me?

Claiming I am just poking holes suggests that I already know the answer or don't care about what the answer is. That simply is not true.

There was clear gaps in the information given in December and Janurary about how and when things would proceed. KW gave information on the "what" which was a good start but far from complete.

However, you have helped reduce some of those gaps. For example, you have given a more clear example of what to expect regarding the Stream 9 kernel on gitlab. I appreciate that you did that.

But I didn't poke or create those gaps in information.

> There are many out there who want to see this whole project blow up in Red Hat's face and maybe you're one of them, maybe you're not. If you've got an actual use case you care about that you were using CentOS Linux for. Make that known. If you are looking to create a new distro based on CentOS project source, how can we help? Otherwise, if you're just here to cause chaos, distrust, and pitchforks. Just own up to it and let us know, it would save you and us a lot of time.

I am sorry there are people that want to see Stream blow up. I don't think any centos mailing list is the best place to accomplishing exploding Stream.

If you want a list of actual use cases for CentOS Linux I have been involved or benefited from in the past, I can try to provide that list for you.

If you need a current immediate use case, I don't really have that -- at least not something you would consider a serious request.

I have wanted for a while to rebuild CentOS for the Hercules emulator. Neither CentOS or Fedora provide anything for the zSeries platform which makes getting started hard. As far as I know the ROSI offering is not inteded to provide access to the zSeries build of RHEL or to support hobby linux distro rebuild projects. WIth the recent announcement there are probably plenty of other projects more worthy of consideration than doing that. Again, it isn't something I expect you would take to be a serious request. If ROSI ends up be a long term offer and things settle down then I might make my request then.

As far as chaos, distrust and pitchforks:

I think chaos comes with any major change. My perspective is the best way to maximize chaos is to just say nothing and wait for the CentOS 8 termination to take place.

I'll own up to having distrust but I don't think it is fair to say I am trying to cause distrust. A lot of how this transition is proceeding seems currently very similar to the early years of Fedora. My bias based on that previous experience is it seems unlikely Stream 8 will be ready for gain general acceptance by the end of the calendar year. I think there is still time to try to address that but progress has been slow.

Lastly, I do not own a pitchfork.