[CentOS-devel] centos-release-stream.x86_64 VS centos-stream-release.noarch

Sat Feb 13 15:51:31 UTC 2021
lejeczek <peljasz at yahoo.co.uk>

On 01/02/2021 21:19, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 1/28/21 3:58 AM, lejeczek via CentOS-devel wrote:
>> Hi devel
>>
>> Is that not something that needs looking into?
>>
>> -> $ dnf search release | grep -i strea
>> Last metadata expiration check: 0:07:24 ago on Thu 28 Jan 2021 09:46:52
>> GMT.
>> centos-release-stream.x86_64 : CentOS-Stream release file
>> centos-stream-release.noarch : CentOS Stream release files
>>
>> Installing one package and not the other messes things a bit.
>>
>> regards, L.
> No it is as intended .. one of them resides in CentOS Linux 8 extras
> repo .. it will go away once CentOS Linux 8 reaches EOL.  It allows you
> to install the release package, run an update to switch from CentOS
> Linux 8 to CentOS Stream 8 .. where the other package is automatically
> installed.

Yes, but it's bit messy. I'm past that issue but if I
remember correctly - while still being on "regular" release
and installing one package first and not the other, as
wanting to migrate to stream, one would end up with
conflicting dependencies. I cannot remember which of the two
would have to be installed first. That was a few weeks ago,
but obvious was that some deps chains there between the two
were malfunctioning/in conflict.

Also while on this case - perhaps related but if not then I
make apologies: when migrating to stream I ended up with
centos-linux-repos-8-2.el8.noarch VS
centos-stream-repos-8-2.el8.noarch on different boxes.
All involved boxes are Centos Streams, yet here also some
deps logics are broken: systems with 'centos-linux-repos'
seems to be behind, dis-synchronized with what systems with
centos-stream-repos get.
On those "behind" boxes I do:
-> $ dnf install centos-stream-repos
No match for argument: centos-stream-repo

Like I mentioned, that box reports itself to be "stream".

Even if it's not a problem in/with infra I thought I'd share
here, just in case someone reading might realize - is having
the same issue.

many thanks, L