[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: What is the expected lifespan remaining onStream 8?

Fri Feb 19 10:21:01 UTC 2021
Peter Georg <peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de>

On 18/02/2021 23.25, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On Thursday, February 18, 2021 3:03 PM, Gena Makhomed <gmm at csdoc.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18.02.2021 21:40, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
>>
>>> Key questions I still can not find the answer to:
>>> What is the expected lifespan remaining on Stream 8?
>>
>> The duration of the RHEL 8 Full Support Phase, 5 years.
>> https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOSStream # Q7
>> https://centos.org/distro-faq/ # Q13
>
> Let me rephrase the question then, will Stream 8 ever recieve the resources to close the openness gap (provide all the resources expected of being the Upstream) before focus shifts to Stream 9?
>
> Answer to Q7 leaves things vague:
> "Around the time the RHEL 9 Public Beta is issued, an additional set of CentOS Stream repositories and ISOs will be available. The existing CentOS Stream repositories representing RHEL 8 bits will continue to be available, and changes to these bits will continue as before for the duration of the RHEL 8 Full Support Phase. At that time, the older repositories will be discontinued, although sources will continue to be available."
>
> It sounds like if Stream 9 is released later this year then progress in closing the openness gap for Stream 8 will come to a halt.  Or as state in the FAQ: "changes to these bits will continue as before for the duration."  The fact RHEL 8 has a 5 year life span does not mean Stream 8 will ever reach a meaningful Upstream status.

According to information available/provided on this mailing-list,
#centos-stream, and at the CentOS Dojo my understanding is:

CentOS Stream 9 is planned to be released in Q2 this year. It will have
some of the goodies people wanted to have in Stream 8 but are not yet
available. Once these are available for Stream 9 one will try to
"backport" these to Stream 8. However not everything can be backported
as no one wants to change the building infrastructure of a currently
shipping product.

To rephrase your question once more:
Will Stream 8 development stop once Stream 9 is released? - No.
Will Stream 9 be the "better" Stream release? - Very likely.

Best

Peter