[CentOS-devel] Announcing ROSI - RHEL for Open Source Infrastructure

Sat Feb 27 14:18:54 UTC 2021
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 2/26/21 12:59 PM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> Feb 25th from Red Hat's Jason Brook:
> "... open source to gain access to RHEL subscriptions ... which now includes ... CentOS Stream to test applications and workloads against the next release of the world’s leading enterprise Linux platform."
>
> Source:
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/extending-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux-open-source-organizations
>
> That sounds like the OFFER is for a Linux distro project to use Red Hat subscription services as part of the support of the Linux distro project.

The partial quote above is a total mis-parsing of that paragraph.  The
paragraph plainly and clearly should be parsed as 'ROSI' is now a third
level of Red Hat's already existing support for open source projects;
that is, Fedora and CentOS Stream were previous OS choices upstream open
source projects could use at no cost, now ROSI is a third.

I also read that this sort of arrangement has existed previously and
that ROSI is just a formalization of those arrangements (the sentence
"We frequently provide no-cost access to RHEL to these groups, but the
process isn’t as formalized, consistent, accessible or transparent as
we’d like it to be." says that).  Fedora and CentOS have quite possibly
been using RHEL for some time now (I am not a member of either project's
infrastructure team, so I don't know what OS is being used in the
infrastructure).

The point is clear to me, and I'll paraphrase: If you were using CentOS
for your infrastructure in an upstream open-source project, where the
license is a Fedora-approved license, you could be eligible for no-cost
RHEL to replace your CentOS.  Yes, upstream is specifically mentioned
(sentence, and not a sentence fragment: "We want RHEL to be used broadly
in upstream open source development, both as a testing platform and as a
stable foundation for development. ").

An RHEL rebuild is not "upstream open source development."