[CentOS-devel] Vote of Confidence

Julien Pivotto

roidelapluie at inuits.eu
Sat Jan 2 13:07:23 UTC 2021

On 02 Jan 10:06, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On Saturday, January 2, 2021 2:35 AM, Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Personally, I never joined a "stream" community. It could be
> > worthwhile, but it's an entirely new thing that only looks like the
> > previous thing. This makes it an open question as to who will join
> > this new community. Clearly, the paid Red Hat staff will join. Also,
> > several upstream maintainers of components that need to integrate with
> > EL will join. But, will the EL user community join? I think depends
> > upon requirements, and generally the answer will be no, they will not
> > join.
> >
> > The community as we know it already moved to other places like Rocky.
> > And, it's a pretty great community by all appearances. It is what
> > CentOS should have become in 2014, but put on hold for 6 years, until
> > forced to unite by a vendor that claimed "CentOS" for their own
> > purposes.
>
> I think this is the point at which we differ.

Community in CentOS has always different from the rest of the Open
Source world.

Sorry, but the community in CentOS could not bring ideas to the table,
because the point of CentOS was to have a rebuild of RHEL and not
differ.

That has changes with the SIGs, which provide additional content, and
will change further with stream, where the base OS will be more
reachable to the community as well.

So please be very careful when you use the word community.

--
 (o-    Julien Pivotto
 //\    Config Management SIG