[CentOS-devel] Vote of Confidence

Konstantin Boyandin

lists at boyandin.info
Sun Jan 3 03:13:35 UTC 2021

 <roidelapluie at inuits.eu> wrote:

>>> Agreed. The people who showed up and did the work, or are doing the
>>> work, get to make the call of what they work on next.
>>> If you want to do something useful, build a labeled snapshot structure
>>> for internal or even public CentOS mirror use to provide the stable
>>> point releases yourself.
>>
>> I do agree. Please read the material provided by red hat at try to
>> better understand. Make your voice heard at centos-questions at .
>
> Is centos-questions also a mailman mailing list?  Where do I find archives
 of the questions already asked and answered?

Unlikely. When you mail at that address, you get automated response from
centos-questions-bounces at redhat.com; since holidays are still in effect,
since December 20-th).

The auto-response sample follows.

==== automated response below
Thanks for reaching out regarding CentOS! We understand that this
announcement may be prompting you to start thinking about the future.
We recognize there are many different use cases and that each case has
unique requirements. We’re working hard to ensure we meet the needs of
as many users as possible.

Working with the CentOS Project Governing Board, we are tailoring
programs to meet the needs of various user groups. In the first half
of 2021, we will introduce low- or no-cost programs for a variety of
use cases, including options for open source projects and communities,
partner ecosystems, and an expansion of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Developer subscription use cases to better serve the needs of systems
administrators and partner developers.

With a full year before builds of CentOS Linux end, you can rest
assured that we will provide multiple programs designed to meet user
needs in ample time for adoption before the end of 2021. You will
receive additional communications from us shortly with more specific
information on programs and options. In the meantime, you can review
the blog post and FAQ for more information.

Blog Post:
http://redhat.com/en/blog/centos-stream-building-innovative-future-enterprise-linux

FAQ: http://redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates
==== automated response above

[...]
>> Let's just work together to make stream great - working together is what
>> open source is about.
>
> This sounds like a call to the community.  That is putting the cart in
 front of the horse.  Can we first get how cutting CentOS 8's life cycle  to
 only 2 years is showing commitment to supporting Stream for 5 years?  Or can we
 get how Stream's obfuscated kernel patches is consistent with Red Hat
 closing the openness gap?  Or can we get any infomration at all from the four
 governance members that can't even introduce themselves on centos-devel?

Something tells me RH will update Stream-related plans within next
following months; I won't be surprised if wee see the timeframes
redefined several more times.

> Open Source is a two way street.  It is a licensing model for putting
 everyone on equal footing.  Working together is a result of having that two way
 street.

> Before 2014 we had a two way street.  If the key members of CentOS decided
 it was time to work on something else, CentOS could be forked into a
 CentOS-NG or CentOS++ (or both).  Red Hat took that two way street away and now
 has leveraged trademarks to redefine fundmental definitions of what CentOS is.
  They accomplished this by ignoring the core value of meritocracy by
 packing the governance board with those without merit and a lack of respect for
 the community.

> What we have now is a cathederal model.  Let's work together to
 re-establish the bizaar.  That is what open source is all about.

I don't think RH is interested in a bazaar any more. JMNSHO.

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)