[CentOS-devel] Vote of Confidence

Rich Bowen

rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 13:36:41 UTC 2021

On 1/4/21 2:53 AM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> Also, when you say "very welcome" I think you mean Stream SIGs will still need a governance board sponsor to proceed.  Which of the governance board members has publicly expressed at any point in 2020 an  interest in making Stream SIGs feel very welcome in getting sponsored.

I would be glad to be your sponsor in this. Note that I don't have any
of the technical chops in BTRFS, but that's not the role of the board
sponsor.

> Maybe we can work with Mike McLean, Red Hat senior software engineer, about getting a BTRFS SIG added to the empty Stream Plus directory?  He introduced himself and gave a list of SIGs he is interested in sponsoring on the mailing list on ... well, never.

That's not how this works. A SIG is proposed (Where was that proposal? I
certainly didn't see it on the mailing list, and would appreciate a
pointer.) and a sponsor steps up. It's documented here:
https://wiki.centos.org/SIGGuide  Asking directors to provide a list of
the SIGs they'd be willing to sponsor is backwards - particularly when
you've been complaining through this entire thread that governance is
top-down rather than community-drive. You're the community. Feel free to
drive.

If you want to make a proposal, I'd be glad to twist Mike's arm to step
up, as he'd be a better fit than me, for the reasons you list. Perhaps
this should be in a new thread, since this thread is *very* dense, and
chances are most folks won't make it this far.

> How about Brian Exelbierd?  Stream's roadmap is RHEL's roadmap.  Clearly interacting with the community should be important to him now? He publicly express interest in sponsoring a SIG... uh, never.

Again ... that's not how this works.

> Or should we go to Jim Perrin at Microsoft??  Is he even still on the governance board?  Is the list even kept up to date on who to ask to get a sponsor for a SIG?

Yes. The list is up to date. I updated it after Ralph stepped down, as
per the recently-published meeting minutes.