[CentOS-devel] Package AppStreams variants in CentOS Stream?

Mon Jan 4 14:47:47 UTC 2021
Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com>

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 12:32 PM Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> On 12/30/20 3:44 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel wrote:
> > Am 30.12.20 um 14:27 schrieb Josh Boyer:

> >> All of the modules available in RHEL should be available in Stream,
> >> and Stream will have modules that are not in a released RHEL version
> >> yet as well.  You can see this in the yum module list output below.
> >> Note that e.g. postgresql:13 is not released in RHEL yet.  (The dnf
> >> output formatting seems to be fairly broken right now, but you should
> >> get the idea.)
> >>
> >> If you can't see the newer versions of maven, nginx, perl, or php,
> >> perhaps you have a stale mirror or haven't enabled those streams?
> >>

> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > okay I see. I was coming from the git path where I do not see such
> > appstreams. What happens when CentOS Linux is EOL? I assume c8 repos
> > are the main sources until it get changed for next point release (c8s) ...?

I'm not sure, actually.  Koji doesn't actually care about branches at
all.  It just references git commits to build from.

> > Just to illustrate:
> >
> > CentOS Linux git:
> >
> > $ for repo in maven nginx perl php; do pushd $repo ;  git branch -r
> > |grep c8-s ; popd > /dev/null ; done
> >
> > ~/centos/maven ~/centos
> >   origin/c8-stream-201801
> >   origin/c8-stream-201902
> >   origin/c8-stream-3.5
> >   origin/c8-stream-3.6
> > ~/centos/nginx ~/centos
> >   origin/c8-stream-1.14
> >   origin/c8-stream-1.16
> >   origin/c8-stream-1.18
> > ~/centos/perl ~/centos
> >   origin/c8-stream-5.24
> >   origin/c8-stream-5.26
> >   origin/c8-stream-5.3
> >   origin/c8-stream-5.30
> > ~/centos/php ~/centos
> >   origin/c8-stream-7.2
> >   origin/c8-stream-7.3
> >   origin/c8-stream-7.4
> >

> > vs CentOS Stream
> >
> > $ for repo in maven nginx perl php; do pushd $repo ;  git branch -r
> > |grep c8s-s ; popd > /dev/null ; done
> >
> > ~/centos/maven ~/centos
> >   origin/c8s-stream-201801
> >   origin/c8s-stream-3.6
> > ~/centos/nginx ~/centos
> >   origin/c8s-stream-1.18
> > ~/centos/perl ~/centos
> >   origin/c8s-stream-5.30
> > ~/centos/php ~/centos
> >   origin/c8s-stream-7.4
>
> This looks like "only the latest package version in the Stream?

That would be a fair assumption to make, but I actually think that's
not the case.  If you look at:

https://koji.mbox.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=12156

you can see that perl-5.30 module build was tagged into both
dist-c8-module-compose and dist-c8-stream-module-compose, so perhaps
the CentOS team is leveraging sources that don't diverge for the
independent builds.  Brian or someone else would likely be able to
describe how CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream dist-git layouts are used.

What we know is that the binaries for all of the Application Streams
are available in Stream.  Understanding how they are built from
sources and what the longer term plans for that are would be good.

josh