[CentOS-devel] RFC: CentOS 8 SIG

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Mon Jan 4 16:17:53 UTC 2021

On Monday, January 4, 2021 9:28 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 1/4/21 9:05 AM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
>
> > This is an introductory Request For Comment to purpose a community SIG
> > to run CentOS 8 from Jan 1, 2022 to June 30, 2024.
> > The responsiblity of the SIG members will be to maintain a repository of
> > Stream 8 packages which have been accepted for publication into RHEL 8
> > The benefit to the CentOS community should be two fold:
> > (1) Hopefully smooth the transistion from CentOS 8 to either Stream or
> > Elephant
> > (2) Provide a repository for Stream 8 members to perform a dnf downgrade
> > as needed
> > The purposed SIG is also seeking a CentOS Governing board member as a
> > sponsor.
>
> It is stated in the FAQ that there will be no SIG for maintaining
> CentOS-8 beyond Dec 2021.
>
> So there will be no Official CentOS 8 Linux past that date. There are
> several other non CentOS / Red Hat rebuild available and/or forming for
> that set of rebuilt packages in the community.

Are you clarifying what the FAQ is supposed to say?

What it currently says is that there will be no SIG for extending Stream 8 beyond RHEL 8's end of full support.

RHEL 8 will still be under full support beyond Dec 2021.  I'm not trying to purpose extending Stream 8 beyond the full support period.  If I need to reword the RFC, please provide what wording you would suggest.