[CentOS-devel] Queries on CentOS Stream

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 7 15:42:37 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 09:43:09AM +0000, Chan, Catherine [ITS] wrote:
> Q2: What about the other releases of CentOS Linux?
[...]

> I don't quite understand the 4th point, 'Updates for the CentOS Stream 8
> distribution continue through the full RHEL support
> phase.
> Can you further elaborate it? Does it mean that users will receive
> updates/patches for CentOS Stream 8 ONLY if they subscribe full RHEL
> support?

I understand your confusion here. This statement is about timing, rather
than about the mechanism. I can see how it could be read as meaning that
RHEL support is the process through which CentOS Stream updates are
distributed, but that is not what was intended. What it's saying is that
CentOS Stream 8 will be continue to get updates as long as RHEL 8 is in the
"Full Support Phase" as described here:

  https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#Full_Support_Phase

and with these dates:

  https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#Life_Cycle_Dates

ending May 31, 2024.

> Question 2
>
> In the announcement, it states 'If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a
> production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet
> your needs, we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options.'  Can you
> highlight what are the drawbacks of CentOS Stream causing not encouraged
> to run on a production environment?

These same drawbacks apply to traditional CentOS Linux. Red Hat has never
officially recommended CentOS _anything_ for production use. With CentOS,
there are no service agreements, no support, no one committed to making sure
your problems are resolved in a timely manner (beyond the best efforts of
volunteers). A lot of people can live with that, but for real production,
Red Hat's business is based on the idea that the value of a subscription is,
well, valuable to you.

You mention that you are in a university. Are your servers for academic
(teaching, learning, and research) use or are the part of university
administration? If it's the former, stay tuned for upcoming new RHEL access
programs which may apply to you.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>