[CentOS-devel] Queries on CentOS Stream

Josh Boyer

jwboyer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 19:30:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:25 PM Japheth Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org> wrote:

> On 1/7/2021 7:42 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 09:43:09AM +0000, Chan, Catherine [ITS] wrote:
> >
> >> Question 2
> >>
> >> In the announcement, it states 'If you are using CentOS Linux 8 in a
> >> production environment, and are concerned that CentOS Stream will not meet
> >> your needs, we encourage you to contact Red Hat about options.'  Can you
> >> highlight what are the drawbacks of CentOS Stream causing not encouraged
> >> to run on a production environment?
> > These same drawbacks apply to traditional CentOS Linux. Red Hat has never
> > officially recommended CentOS _anything_ for production use. With CentOS,
> > there are no service agreements, no support, no one committed to making sure
> > your problems are resolved in a timely manner (beyond the best efforts of
> > volunteers). A lot of people can live with that, but for real production,
> > Red Hat's business is based on the idea that the value of a subscription is,
> > well, valuable to you.
> >
> > You mention that you are in a university. Are your servers for academic
> > (teaching, learning, and research) use or are the part of university
> > administration? If it's the former, stay tuned for upcoming new RHEL access
> > programs which may apply to you.
> >
> * CentOS Linux (as a *product*) is free as in speech.

Forgive me, but CentOS Linux is a project.  I think the distinction is
important because there are tradeoffs either way between a project and
a product.  CentOS Stream is also a project.

> * RedHat Enterprise Linux (as a *product*), when licensed for
> education/non-commercial/whatever program use, is free as in beer.
>
> If the "RHEL access programs" were announced three months ago (perhaps
> with a beefed-up UBI package set) there would have been cheers across

Can you elaborate on the UBI part?  What about the current content set
isn't sufficient for you?  What usecases are you trying to solve with
it?

josh