[CentOS-devel] [CloudSIG] Questions about adopting CentOS 8 Stream

Wed Jan 13 17:26:51 UTC 2021
Alfredo Moralejo Alonso <amoralej at redhat.com>

Hi,

In Cloud SIG, we are planning adoption to CentOS 8 Stream. I'd like to
clarify what will be the workflow and get some info about open questions
and issues before starting to request stuff.

IIUC, the intended workflow to build, ship and consume packages for c8s
should be pretty similar to the current one:

Build:
1. Request new tags which will use C8S buildroot, something like
cloud8s-openstack-victoria-*.
2. Build from srpm on those new tags.

Ship:
3. Tagging into cloud8s-openstack-victoria-testing will trigger
automatically shipping a package under
https://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/8-stream/cloud/x86_64/openstack-victoria/
(note 8-stream in url).
4. Tagging into cloud8s-openstack-victoria-release will trigger
automatically shipping a package under
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/cloud/x86_64/openstack-victoria/ (note
8-stream in url)

Consume:
5. Users in a C8S box, install the release rpm from extras
centos-release-openstack-victoria and repos are configured to use from
8-stream URLs.

Please confirm this is the intended workflow or if there is any change. I
assume we can maintain separated repos for C8 and C8S with different or
same (cross-tagged) packages in the SIG.

Now, some questions:

- The release RPMs will be the same for C8 and C8S (as it is currently) or
can be different?, we may have a new release only for C8S and not for C8 so
we may need different release rpms.
- Do we need to adjust somehow the .repo to point to the right URLs in C8
or C8S (i thing $releasever points to 8 in centos-stream).
- Is the infra already ready to build and push packages for C8S or are
there open issues that we should be aware of?, is the automated push and
ship based on tagging/untagging ready for C8S builds?
- Is there any change in naming convention for tags, repos, etc... (i
assumed <signame>8s- instead of <signame>8- ).
- Should we use a different disttag for C8S buildroots?, (I'd prefer to
stay with regular .el8).

Best regards,

Alfredo