[CentOS-devel] Upgrade to Stream wants to downgrade e.g. httpd

Carl George

carl at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 02:11:54 UTC 2021

I have yet to see an actual problem presented other than "I don't like
the appearance of a downgrade".  It's not ideal but it's also not
causing an actual issue.  As long as RHEL maintainers add digits after
the %{?dist} macro in the release field, it will be possible to end up
in this situation.  CentOS cannot solve this with the current
implementation of modularity in MBS.  The right place for this
feedback is upstream MBS.

https://pagure.io/fm-orchestrator

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:21 AM redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel
<centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 14, 2021 7:23 AM, orkcu via CentOS-devel <centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:
>
> Considering that CentOS 8.5 will never be, a year from now (6 month only?)  you will not have this issue, as Baron said, with new packages coming to Stream the issue will go away naturally unless you want to move from RHEL to CentOS
>

> Yes, I want to move from RHEL to Stream.
>
> If someone reports a bug in RHEL 8.5 then I want to be able to advocate for them to test that Stream fixes the issue.  It is more likely they will have a RHEL 8.5 template to create a test virtual machine than a Stream template.  I don't think it is unfair to assume they may use RHEL 8.5 as the starting point for trying Stream.
>
> If we aren't building a community that can advocate for use cases of Stream, then I'm confused what the goal of Stream is.
>
> If the goal is that Stream is to be PUBLICLY available as-is for people to try similar to what OpenSolaris ended up being, then that is fine but that should be clearly stated.
>
> If the goal is that Stream is to be OPEN to encourage building a community for two-way dialogue, then I think we can do better than suggest no one should ever want to side-grade from RHEL to Stream.
>
> There is advantages and disadvantage to either goal.  I just would like to establish which it is and then set bug/feature requests accordingly.

Carl George