[CentOS-devel] Questions regarding CS8

Alex Iribarren

alex.m.lists3 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:22:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 1/15/21 5:38 PM, Brian Stinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, at 04:59, Alex Iribarren wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're starting to look at CentOS Stream 8 and we have some questions
>> that we haven't been able to find clear answers for. The closest we've
>> come is "stay tuned", I'm hoping to get a clearer timeline.
>>
>> 1. When will Stream source RPMs appear in `vault.centos.org`? (Bugs
>> [#17951](https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17951) and
>> [#16715](https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=16715)).
>
> I don't have a solid timeline, we're working on a couple of solutions here. Source RPMs can be found in the composes on https://composes.centos.org
>

>> 2. When will debuginfo RPMs appear in `debuginfo.centos.org`?
>
> ^ Same thing for debugs, they're available on composes.centos.org, we're looking at some better ways of distributing them
>

>> 3. When will the CentOS Stream 8 docker image be built? When will it be
>> available in [dockerhub](https://hub.docker.com/_/centos)? [Bug
>> #17973](https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17973)
>
> This is coming very soon. The technical hurdles are finished, we just have to make sure we can keep such a container updated on a regular basis.

CentOS Stream is over a year old at this point, I'm kind of surprised
these sorts of things (sources, debuginfo, docker image, etc.) haven't
been worked out yet. I know you guys have your hands full, but I would
have expected Red Hat to consider how ready Stream was before killing
CentOS Linux in favor of it.

>> 4. How will updates to Stream be handled? For example, will there be
>> multiple "major" (ie. 4.18.0-259) kernel families in Stream, and then
>> one of those will be picked to be the RH 8.4 kernel? Or will there
>> usually be only one, and Stream's current 4.18.0-259 kernel family
>> become the kernel of RH 8.4?
>
> The way this works right now, is that we cherry-pick kernels that are being prepped for the next minor RHEL release and put them in Stream. There's not a way for us to know which exact NVR will be the "RHEL Released" kernel.

So the kernel will be worked on privately within Red Hat and every once
and then we'll get a preview in Stream? Any idea how often this will be,
more or less?

>> 5. What is going to be in the
>> [cr](http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/cr/) repository of Stream?
>> Will those be updates that have yet to make it into CentOS Stream? How
>> often will that repository be updated?
>
> Nothing goes in CR for Stream. CR is only meant for content seeding during a point-release of CentOS Linux and Stream does not have point-releases. This empty repository is left on the mirrors because Stream and Linux used to be very tightly coupled, and we didn't want to break CentOS Linux systems that might have the CR repos enabled when they were migrated to CentOS Stream.

Ok, that makes sense.

>> 6. When I asked some of these questions on IRC in #centos-devel, I was
>> told that the "Stream team" is in #centos-stream. Is there actually a
>> different team? Is #centos-stream, and not #centos-devel, the canonical
>> chat channel?
>
> #centos-stream is a good place for questions. We try to hang out in both places, though.

Ok, thanks.

Cheers,
Alex