[CentOS-devel] RFC: Stream Kernel SIG Proposal

Phil Perry

pperry at elrepo.org
Wed Jan 20 08:51:12 UTC 2021

On 20/01/2021 08:12, Julien Pivotto wrote:
> On 20 Jan 08:08, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
>> There are four main goals of this SIG:
>>
>> First, break down changes in the Stream version 4.18.0 kernel into individual patches.  When possible, document the source the patch is from and the purpose of the patch.  Moving forward also document which Stream kernel package revision introduced the patch.
>
> Let's face it that should be the sane technical default for stream, from
> red hat. They should provide it out of the box. What they do downstream
> after this is up to them.

Agreed. I makes it very very difficult to contribute to Stream at the
kernel level is any meaningful way if there is not a proper git
repository (or similar) tracking all commits that have been made over
the lifetime of the project.

Red Hat killed CentOS Linux on the basis it's community was simply a
community of users and didn't contribute anything. As it stands CentOS
Stream is no different as there is still no effective way to contribute.
Having a proper git repository is the first step to changing that.
Otherwise we are shackled to remaining users who can file bug reports
when something breaks but little else.

In reality, Stream is not an open upstream of RHEL, but rather CentOS
and RHEL have simply switched positions within a closed downstream
process, CentOS Stream now being the first (development) step in that
closed process rather than a rebuild of it.

I'm not offering to be a part of this proposed SIG, but am watching the
whole topic with much interest.