[CentOS-devel] May we get all subpackages in C8S repos?

Alfredo Moralejo Alonso

amoralej at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 14:56:58 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 3:01 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 5:35 AM Alfredo Moralejo Alonso
> <amoralej at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > With the refocus of CentOS to Stream, i think it'd make sense to open
> the discussion about the missing subpackages (mainly devel ones) in the
> repos.
> >
> > While I understand that this was part of the idea of a "pure clone" of
> RHEL when working with CentOS Linux, now that stream is more intended to be
> used by devel community and not as a pure rebuild, I think there are
> reasons to change this policy.
> >
> > What'd be the best way to open this discussion?, is it being discussed
> already?, should this be a topic for the board?
>
> This is indeed a great question and yes, we are already discussing it
> internally.  To be quite frank, we've been discussing it for quite
> some time and long before the CentOS Linux announcement.  There is a
> balance to be struck between making CentOS Stream a viable platform
> for ecosystem development, and faithfully representing what will
> become the next RHEL minor release.
>
> To date CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream have both stuck to "we provide
> what RHEL provides" so that anyone consuming them gets parity with
> RHEL.  This benefits users that have a mixed RHEL/CentOS environment,
> and developers targeting the next release of RHEL by using CentOS
> Stream because they build against what RHEL has available.  It
> prevents them from inadvertently getting themselves into situations
> where an application or package may build on a CentOS flavor, but fail
> to run on RHEL due to missing dependencies or, less noticable, running
> against unsupported content.

Putting all "unsupported" content in a separated -unsupported repo which
would be disabled by default could be a suitable solution (similar to
current Devel but automatically  populated with unshipped content on each
new build).

> However, we have seen, and I have personally evaluated, MANY requests
> for some of the unshipped packages for what are very valid reasons.
> By working with the CentOS team, we have slowly adjusted our default
> approach to these requests and we're continuing to evolve it.  I will
> be working further with them to figure out how best to strike this
> balance, particularly in light of CentOS Stream 9 coming and the
> increased emphasis on using that directly for RHEL development.
>
> I can promise no timelines and we have nothing concrete to share at
> the moment, but please know we're taking this seriously and the
> information the community is providing on what use cases they are
> trying to solve is actually critical to coming up with the right
> solutions.  The more we know about how our users leverage our projects
> and products, the better we can make them.  Thanks in advance for your
> patience.

Is there any ticket (bugzilla or whatever) where I could track the progress
of the discussions?

Thanks for the info!

Alfredo

josh