[CentOS-devel] how do we create CentOS' comps.xml

Ken Dreyer

kdreyer at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 22:49:44 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 2:12 PM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:
> I can explain this.
>
> Internally, we have a single comps file that looks almost identical to
> the CentOS one referenced except for the branding changes already
> mentioned.  It delineates packages between repos using
> "variant="BaseOS" or variant="AppStream", etc.  For groups that have
> packages split across repos, you'll see both variant statements within
> the group definition.  When pungi runs, it will take the single comps
> file and deconstruct it based on variant statements to produce
> per-repository comps definitions.  That way the comps groups don't
> include packages that are not actually in that repository.

Thanks Josh, this clears up a lot. I also found
https://docs.pagure.org/pungi/comps.html and that helps me understand
further how this process works.

It sounds like CentOS engineers copy and transform an internal RHEL
comps XML for CentOS 8 and push it to Pagure. And then when we get to
CentOS 9 Stream, release engineers will make comps changes happen in
CentOS' git first?

- Ken