[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 22 13:31:56 UTC 2021

Am 22.01.21 um 14:18 schrieb Mike McGrath:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:39 AM Peter Eckel via CentOS-devel
> <centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Mike,
>
>     thanks for the information, this is at least partly good news.
>
>     Whet I currently can't figure out - maybe you have some information
>     about it - is the situation with, e.g. Vagrant.
>
>     I rely a lot on Vagrant boxes for development and testing work, and
>     up to now the situation with RHEL is that there are none, probably
>     due to legal issues and because RHN registration doesn't mix well
>     with instances created and deleted on-the-fly. The obvious solution
>     is - or rather, was - CentOS, which so far fit my needs. CentOS
>     Stream in all likelyhood will not fill that gap.
>
>     Are there plans for making it possible to create Vagrant boxes and
>     similar items based on "FreeRHEL"?
>

> I don't think we're going to ship vagrant images directly.  I know
> several customers are using vagrant with RHEL and we've got some people
> using it internally.  We've got some kbase and docs on the customer
> portal (which you do have access to with these developer program accounts).
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_container_development_kit/2.2/html/getting_started_guide/introducing_red_hat_container_development_kit
> <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_container_development_kit/2.2/html/getting_started_guide/introducing_red_hat_container_development_kit>
>
> de-registering a box could be made part of the teardown process I would
> think.  I've also heard stale boxes (IE: registered systems that are no
> longer check-ing in) have some way to do an automated cleanup after 2
> days or so?  I'm a little confused on how that process works though, its
> actually on my todo list to check out in February when the new simpler
> content access is in place.

Honestly not so much experience with mock but what about mock build
environments. While mock bootstraps the context to build rpms quite
often, there is the need to access the repos. Does mock support "login"
into such "RH accounts" and logout (deregister)?

CentOS with there mirrors was quite easy in this case.

--
Leon