[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: May we get all subpackages in C8S repos?

Josh Boyer

jwboyer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 17:46:50 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 4:26 AM Peter Georg
<peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> >> Is there any ticket (bugzilla or whatever) where I could track the progress of the discussions?
> >
> > At the moment, nothing that is public.  This is larger than a bug at any rate.
> >
> > Perhaps once there's a process for CentOS Stream community requests or
> > interests that are larger in scope, someone could take the time to
> > write up something that we can use to facilitate that discussion.
>
> I agree with you that finding a proper solution to provide further/all
> subpackages is a larger endeavour and thus might take longer to solve.
>
> However can we at least get all subpackages that are available for
> CentOS Linux now for CentOS Stream as well? I.e. populate the "Devel"
> repository for CentOS Stream with the same subpackages currently
> available in the CentOS Linux "Devel" repository.

Possibly.  I'm not sure it would show up in a "Devel" repo, but it's a
smaller set to start with.

> This has been a blocker for me that stops me from even checking whether
> CentOS Stream might be an alternative for my use case since the
> announcement about CentOS Linux EOL last year.
>
> It seems that the internal discussions about how to handle this in the
> future have even caused issues for the current partial solution: The
> Devel repository has not even been updated for CentOS Linux 8 (2011).
> Which means I'm still stuck at CentOS Linux 8 (2004) :(

To be frank, that's probably my fault indirectly.  Even if it isn't in
whole, let's just proceed as if it was and see if we can find a more
compelling solution for Stream.

> These issues have caused me to now seriously look into alternative
> distributions despite having favored to switch to CentOS Stream for some
> time now. I'd really like to switch to CentOS Stream and continue to be
> a part of the CentOS Community, but it's getting harder to even convince
> myself that this is a good idea every day :(

I appreciate your patience.  This isn't going to be quick, but we're
definitely working on it.

josh