[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Mon Jan 25 01:16:49 UTC 2021

On Sunday, January 24, 2021 12:31 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:50 AM Josh Boyer <jwboyer at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 12:28 PM redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel
> > <centos-devel at centos.org> wrote:

> > > I agree with you and didn't expect a FSF member to say Red Hat is doing anything *legally* wrong.
> > >
> > > Put please re-read that FAQ answer again carefully:
> > >
> > > "If I distribute GPLed software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge? (#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic)"
> > >
> > > "No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public."
> > >
> > > While it says Red Hat has no obligation to *directly* make GPL software publicly available, it indicates there should be the possibility of it being indirectly publicly available.
> > >
> > > What Mike McGrath is indicating Red Hat puts a chilling effect on that indirect redistribution of GPL/LGPL works to the "unentitled."
> > >
> > > So, my expectation is that the FSF member would try to explain why using the word "unentitled" goes against the *spirit* of the GPL/LGPL family of licenses.  (And hopefully can phrase it better than I can).
> >
> > As a general reminder, the GPL and LGPL are source code licenses.  The
> > source code to the packages in Red Hat Enterprise Linux releases, GPL
> > or otherwise, are released on git.centos.org, which requires no
> > registration and no terms to accept.  The recent announcements around
> > CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream did not alter this approach.
>
> Thanks, Josh.  I do have to point out that I made no claims about the GPL, LGPL, or even source code in my original response.  It was simply one human talking to another human on a mailing list to try and come to a common understanding of what Red Hat considers ok and not ok.  Unfortunately, my words continue to be parsed or taken out of context by some of the more anonymous members of this mailing list who continue to act in bad faith.  I'll refrain from commenting on our license and terms in the future.
>
> For those that want to participate in the RHEL programs, you are all on your own to find whatever counsel you'd like to understand them.
>
>         -Mike

I recognized that you didn't directly make claims about the GPL and LGPL.  That is why I asked for clarification.

But a discussion of mirroring RHEL packages for mock is very likely to include GPL and LGPL packages.  The claims made still seem to indirectly apply to GPL/LGPL packages.

If I create a repo of mirrored packages that are all covered by the GPL/LGPL such as glibc-devel, does there exist a concept of "unentitled" people to that repo?  I am not trying to take anything out of context, instead I am just following what logically the statement seems to apply to.

The issue of creating a mirror of specific GPL/LGPL covered packages for recreating a bug for building a project is not a hypothetical.  I have actually done this with CentOS and my understanding has it is not in violation with any CentOS user agreement to have done so.

Since my request for clarification has simply been labeled as being in bad faith, I will try to get more counsel on the issue from sources external to Red Hat and report back.