[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Jake Shipton

listmail at crazylinuxnerd.net
Mon Jan 25 09:54:31 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-01-25 at 02:38 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:

> I do not believe that they'll stop. Just because they'll stop
> building
> it doesn't mean that they can't continue to use it as a mechanism for
> delivering the sources in a way that's straightforward to understand
> and build.

Indeed. Let's not forget we're talking about a git repository here, and
how git works.

The way the git.centos.org is currently laid out is basically 1 package
is 1 repository.

Within that repository are separate branches, these branches are
currently set out as follows (for CentOS 8):

c8
c8-beta
c8s

You'll notice immediately c8s is clearly CentOS Stream, c8 is CentOS as
we use it daily, and c8-beta was setup during the beta.

So - Redhat could easily just continue exactly as they are now.

CentOS Stream updates will be pushed to the c8s branch, RHEL updates
will continue to go to c8 branch as it does now, and perhaps c8-beta
branch will just get dropped (no longer necessary).

So in my opinion, they have already prepared for this with regards to
git.centos.org, it will just continue as I described above.

But of course, this is just my personal opinion.

- Jake