[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 8 kernel

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Jan 26 20:56:11 UTC 2021

On 1/26/21 9:50 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 26/01/2021 19:44, Rainer Traut wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 14.01.21 um 20:50 schrieb Gena Makhomed:
>>
>>> This bug is critical for me, because currently I try to use
>>> systemd-nspawn for containers virtualization in production.
>>> If future CentOS 8.4 will contain this bug - it will be disaster.
>>
>> There will be no CentOS 8.4 anymore, right?
>>

> RHEL8 is supposed to be on a 6 month release schedule for minor
> releases, so I'd expect RHEL8.4 April/May and RHEL8.5 around beginning
> of Nov. Given CentOS 8 continues until end of 2021, I'd expect CentOS
> 8.4 and even 8.5 depending when RHEL8.5 ships and how quickly the team
> can turn around that release.

Based on past experience, I am willing to bet on no CentOS 8.5. Even the
last updates for EL6 were not properly distributed before completely
retiring CentOS 6 despite being much easier to build and push and no one
would have been hurt if mirrors kept C6 another week.

I am 99% sure that even if RH releases 8.5 in nov, CentOS 8.5 will not
be ready before CentOS 8 being EOLed. /M//aybe/, just /maybe/ we might
see a CentOS 8.5 in Dec if RHEL 8.5 sees the light in Oct. But I doubt
that, too.

@GenaMakhomed:  If possible, you'd better take advantage of the new
subscriptions from RH and switch to using RHEL proper. CentOS 8 is dead,
it's just kept on life support for another 11 months.