[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 8 kernel

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Tue Jan 26 23:04:05 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:56 PM, Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:

> On 1/26/21 9:50 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>
> > On 26/01/2021 19:44, Rainer Traut wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > There will be no CentOS 8.4 anymore, right?
> >
> > RHEL8 is supposed to be on a 6 month release schedule for minor releases, so I'd expect RHEL8.4 April/May and RHEL8.5 around beginning of Nov. Given CentOS 8 continues until end of 2021, I'd expect CentOS 8.4 and even 8.5 depending when RHEL8.5 ships and how quickly the team can turn around that release.
>
> Based on past experience, I am willing to bet on no CentOS 8.5. Even the last updates for EL6 were not properly distributed before completely retiring CentOS 6 despite being much easier to build and push and no one would have been hurt if mirrors kept C6 another week.
>
> I am 99% sure that even if RH releases 8.5 in nov, CentOS 8.5 will not be ready before CentOS 8 being EOLed. Maybe, just maybe we might see a CentOS 8.5 in Dec if RHEL 8.5 sees the light in Oct. But I doubt that, too.

The legacy C6 updates are still up on vault.centos.org.  Several of the final updates were released November 9th.  Terminating the mirrors and replacing them with the readme provided a strong message that people needed to migrate off C6.

In terms of there possibly never being a CentOS 8.5, I kind of agree and disagree.  I think it is very likely there will be no install media update for 8.5.  But I think CR will get the critical package updates fromn RHEL 8.5.