[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Gena Makhomed

gmm at csdoc.com
Thu Jan 28 11:22:45 UTC 2021

On 20.01.2021 15:14, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Hi all, I know this was a hot topic on the list so I thought I'd share
> today's blog post which covers no-cost RHEL for small production workloads
> and no-cost RHEL for customer development teams.  Keep in mind there are
> other programs coming, these just got done first.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-new-red-hat-enterprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel
>
> Bullet Points:
>
>     - Self-Support RHEL for no-cost in production use cases of up to 16
>     systems.
>     - No-cost RHEL for customer development teams (larger number of systems
>     for non-production cases).
>     - Available no later than February 1
>     - Single Sign-on via a Red Hat account, or Github, Twitter, Facebook or
>     other accounts (You'll soon not need to provide all kinds of personal
>     information like you used to).

I have same questions.

This is copy of my email to centos-questions at redhat.com

Hello Red Hat,

As I understand from the Red Hat blog article "New Year, new Red Hat
Enterprise Linux programs: Easier ways to access RHEL" I am limited to
only 16 no-cost RHEL instances. Limit 16 instances means bare metal
servers and KVM virtual machines, right?

But what about systemd-nspawn OS-level virtualization containers? To be
able run "yum update" inside systemd-nspawn containers I need to
activate Red Hat subscription inside each container too???

And I can't have more than 16 instances (bare metal + VMs + containers)
with a RHEL subscription?

This is too strict restriction for me. Because I use now CentOS 8 in
production and use systemd-nspawn containers for hosting websites, and
create for each website a separate systemd-nspawn container.

Or I can legally create and legally "yum update" and legally use in
production OS-level virtualization systemd-nspawn containers without
activating RHEL subscription for each such container?

But I still need to activate the RHEL subscription for each VM which
runs an RHEL instance?

and so on. Are such configurations legal and allowed or not? I didn't
find any limitations on the blog article, but for sure and for future I
need a clean and unambiguous answer from Red Hat.

If such configurations are allowed - this is a legal workaround for a
limit of 16 no-cont RHEL instances. For example, a small company, with
50 employees can absolutely legally have free and no-cost 800 RHEL
servers in self-support mode. Company with 100 employees can have 1600
free no-cost RHEL servers in self-support mode and so on.

If such configurations are forbidden (on what basis?) - I have no choice
but to migrate from free CentOS and no-cost RHEL to Oracle Linux or Alma
Linux or Rocky Linux.

And in the future if my company grows and I will need to buy commercial
support - I will be forced by Red Hat's decision to buy subscriptions
for Oracle Linux from the Oracle Corporation?

Is this the real goal of the no-cost RHEL 16 instance limit - force
CentOS users migrate to Oracle Linux?

More details here:

- https://www.oracle.com/linux/

- https://linux.oracle.com/switch/centos/