[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Neal Gompa

ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 18:35:27 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 1:21 PM Gena Makhomed <gmm at csdoc.com> wrote:

> On 29.01.2021 14:28, Neal Gompa wrote:
>
> >> Is it legal to use RHEL inside systemd-nspawn containers without
> >> registration and without activation subscription inside the container?
> >>
> >> Do I need to start the registration process inside each container,
> >> or will the "yum update" command inside the container work without it?
>
> > Well, strictly speaking, you only need to do this if you cut off
> > subscription-manager from the host's registration. There's a hook in
> > Podman that pulls in the host RHEL subscription entitlement into the
> > container so that everything works without registering a new
> > entitlement (as permitted by the terms). You'd need to do something
> > similar for systemd-nspawn to qualify it properly as container usage.
>
> Neal, thank you! You really helped me.
>
> Now I understand how it should work from a technical point of view.
>
> But will be such hack of systemd-nspawn containers made by myself legal,
> or such modification of systemd-nspawn containers is completely illegal
> and not allowed?
>
> Because systemd-nspawn containers provide OS-level virtualization,
> and from users point of view they are almost identical to virtual
> machines. Virtual machines limited to only allowed 16 subscriptions,
> but systemd-nspawn containers not limited at all, and one no-cost RHEL
> server can have running 100, 200 or even more systemd-nspawn containers.

It's *not* virtualization in the sense that Red Hat cares about. It's
not booting another kernel. It's not another computer system. This is
already allowed because otherwise it becomes a huge problem for Podman
and OpenShift systems to run RHEL containers. If you're entitled to
the host, you're entitled automatically for containers.

Note that RHEL UBI is probably a better fit here, since it doesn't
have the RHEL subscription restrictions on it:
https://access.redhat.com/articles/4238681

> [...]
>
> >> Conversation about what?
> >>
> >> no-cost RHEL as I understand is forbidden to use by companies.
>
> > Strictly speaking, it is not forbidden for use by companies. It's
> > forbidden to *register* to companies. That means it *must* be tied to
> > an individual, and if that person leaves the company, those
> > entitlements go with it. It's deliberately designed this way so
> > someone could do a startup with RHEL and scale up eventually to proper
> > commercial licenses if successful. This was a specific example the
> > Brian said was permitted in the Ask Noah Show interview[1].
> >
> > [1]: https://podcast.asknoahshow.com/216?t=1877
>
> In the example above - Alice and Bob are employers of company,
> which are registered Individual Developer Subscriptions using
> corporate mail, for example, alice at example.com and bob at example.com
> example.com - domain and mail server owned by Example Corporation.
>
> Is such registration allowed?
>
> Is Alice and Bob allowed together use these 32 subscriptions
> for servers and VMs used in production for company purposes?
>
> And what changed if we have not 2 but 32 employers? 32 employers
> of company together can have 512 subscriptions for servers and VMs.
>
> And what changed if we have not 2 but 128 employers? 128 employers
> of company together can have 2048 subscriptions for servers and VMs.
>
> If Alise of Bob leaves the company - they email will be blocked,
> servers and VMs will be deregistered from Alise of Bob accounts
> before Alice and Bob fired from the company, and these servers
> and VMs anew will be registered to another employers of company.
>
> Such a scheme of work with subscriptions will work without problems
> or such scheme of work is forbidden and illegal? (on which reason?)

You should probably stop asking about this on this list. I suspect if
people really abused this in the way you're describing, it'll just go
away entirely. So, please don't abuse the nice things folks give to
the community. It'd be more productive to just ask Red Hat for
low-cost options for your business vertical.

> >> Website hosting is low-margin businesses, it is unreal
> >> to pay 800 USD/year for each virtual machine/container.
> >>
> >> One hosting server can have several dozen or even several
> >> hundred of virtual machines or systemd-nspawn containers.
>
> > VMs require separate entitlements, containers do not. Describing
> > nspawn as a VM probably confused Brian, it is explicitly not a VM
> > technology, as it can't boot a kernel or simulate hardware.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-level_virtualization
> - this is a common term for naming containers that use
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_namespaces
> for resource isolation, using shared kernel.

Red Hat does not acknowledge "OS containers" as any different from
"app containers". Indeed, the RHEL 8 systemd container is effectively
the same environment you'd be creating with nspawn yourself. They are
both "virtualized" in the technical sense, but in the sense that Red
Hat subscription management cares about it, they are not.

You are not duplicating cores, you are not duplicating RAM, and you're
not duplicating the kernel instance. It's one host system of shared
resources across everything, and that's considered fine.

Remember that Mock uses systemd-nspawn too, and it would be a huge
problem if that wasn't allowed.