[CentOS-devel] First round of RHEL programs announced

Stephen John Smoogen

smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 17:40:29 UTC 2021

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 17:58, Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 1:36 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > And if instead your company comes up with some process for _actually_
> > managing everyone's active participation, well, okay, fine, but maybe
> that
> > time would be better spent on figuring out how to actually just cope with
> > CentOS Stream — or to skip all that and decide that you're at a scale
> where
> > actually paying for RHEL isn't all that terrible after all and all the
> > employees can concentrate on doing their actual jobs.
>
> I'm trying to stay out of the weeds on many of the recent re-hashes of
> known concerns and known responses to these concerns, but I want to be
> clear about this point...
>
> The larger the scale, the less attractive RHEL is. This is a
> fundamental problem with the RHEL licensing model. Once the RHEL
> licensing cost exceeds around $0.5M/year, you can now afford people to
> work on this problem. If you were to exceed $5M/year, you can have a
> team of people working on this problem. This is the problem I raised
> to our Red Hat sales rep in 2016, and this is the problem that they
> never provided a solution for. The discounts provided at scale were
> insignificant as factors. This is why "Facebook" (as one example of
> scale in context for this discussion) is using CentOS Stream, and not
> using RHEL.

Depending on what industry you are in, you are looking at about 0.25-0.5
M/year per person in expenses spread through a company. Those sorts of
companies have investors (owners) who want the company to only focus on
their core competency which is usually making some other widget than an OS.
If your company does not have those concerns, good on them and on you for
being lucky to be in that spot. A lot of companies are not and that is
where the scaling up proposition does work.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.