[CentOS-devel] Balancing the needs around the RHEL platform

Fri Jan 1 22:01:27 UTC 2021
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 04:50:44PM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> possible to set the boot loader to consider one kernel as the
> "default", but to beet the next time with a designated kernel one time
> only. It made testing kernels safer because a failed kernel
> installation failed reboot only *once* and only needed a power cycle
> to revert. I don't believe grub has ever been successfully patched to
> support this: I'd welcome it if they did, though i'm not testing
> hardware and kernels these days.

Grub can do a number of fancy things, including "boot once" and (I think
probably better) a "fallback" option. (You may want `kernel.panic = 10` or
something in /etc/sysctl.conf to go along with this, depending on what kind
of failure you're expecting.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>