[CentOS-devel] should we expect to close CentOS Stream bugs as dups of RHEL?

Tue Jan 5 19:34:29 UTC 2021
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 05/01/2021 18:02, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 1:00 PM Alex Iribarren <alex.m.lists3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,

>>> That's a reasonable perspective, but often the RHEL bug has been
>>> around for quite some time and has far more relevant data to the issue
>>> at hand.  It's not really about RHEL vs. Stream, but rather which bug
>>> has the most useful information.
>>>
>>> I think the Stream team are still formulating some contribution
>>> guidelines and this might be something to consider as part of that
>>> work.
>>
>> If Stream is truly to be RHEL's upstream, shouldn't the bugs be opened
>> against Stream in the first place?
>>

> That does make sense actually. It might make more sense to stop having
> unreleased point releases populated in RHBZ and force those to use
> CentOS Stream "version" in RHEL 8 product in Bugzilla.

Absolutely - how can it make sense to assign a bug to something that
does not exist. RHEL 8.4 will not exist until the day it is publicly
released. The 'development' of RHEL 8.4 is now Stream, so any bugs
relating to the development of RHEL 8.4 are Stream bugs and 8.4 as a
version should not exist until it's been officially released.

Being really clear on that will prevent duplicate bugs being filed
against multiple versions (8.4 and Stream) and collate all the useful
information in one publicly accessible bug.

Do we need to file a bug to remove future versions of RHEL from the bug
tracker, or can someone make that happen?