[CentOS-devel] May we get all subpackages in C8S repos?

Fri Jan 22 15:42:39 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 09:51, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

> Hi Lamar,
>
> Sometimes I feel I really spent too much of my working time just for
> catching up with the constant changes and I'm wondering why it is like
> that. That's a question for every Linux contributor but also directly to
> the big contributors like RedHat.

I think many of us in the 'modern industries' have to spend a good portion
of our lives relearning everything. We either do it a bit constantly or
find ourselves outdated and struggling to make giant leaps because our
skills are no longer 'needed'. I have seen this in everything from
automobile shops, textile plants, chemical factories, government
bureaucracies and even farming. The only way things stay the same are when
they get artificially 'protected' by a large enough society forces their
government that they are willing to keep say XYZ cheese making exactly the
way it was done in 1420. [Usually whatever it is has to tie deeply into
national pride and have been going on for hundreds of years to get that
mark so at this point steam powered computers is probably the only thing
which would get this point (sorry Cobol)]

Otherwise we find that we are relearning things all the time or being
replaced by someone younger who is 'up on the new things'. Then we have to
fight with others in the 'heritage' pile where there is an oversupply of
people and undersupply of jobs. Then the only way to shine there is being a
consultant who can sell themselves better than the others and command that
price you want. However usually that also means being up on the new things
enough because you are going to be transitioning whatever 'heritage' to
something new enough to find less expensive people later.