[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream support Re: Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Michel Alexandre Salim

michel at michel-slm.name
Mon Jul 12 00:43:36 UTC 2021

Dear all,

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 02:18:48AM +0200, Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On 09.07.21 17:41, Carl George wrote:
> > I disagree with the suggestion that participation is required to use
> > CentOS Stream.  It's certainly recommended, but I have had multiple
> > people tell me personally that they switched from CL8 to CS8 and
> > forgot they did it and didn't notice a difference.  They didn't file
> > bugs, they didn't participate in IRC or the mailing list, they just
> > used it and it was fine.  CS8 hasn't been a constant thorn for them.
> > I'm not claiming it's been perfect, there have certainly been
> > regressions, but they are fixed faster than they ever were in CL8 (or
> > previous major versions) and I strongly feel that most users will be
> > best served by getting switched to CS8 at or just after the CL8 EOL.
>

> Hands on - I tried to switch some workstations to CS8 like it would be
> done at the end of the year. The next monday would bring me angry users
> into my "virtual" office because there applications does not run
> anymore. What happens?
> Applications from 3rd party repos like RPM Fusion that link against
> "qt5-qtbase(x86-64) = 5.12.5" do not have any providers anymore
> (CS8 got an upgrade to 5.15.2. So, like EPEL it seems that
> everything else needs also a -next branch (just kidding).
> What would be new in 8.6? That will be state of CS8 at the end
> of the year?

This seems to be worth discussing with RPM Fusion developers.

With CentOS 8 going EOL at the end of the year, it's likely that a
substantial portion of the userbase will end up on CentOS Stream.

What would it take to have a `-next` overlay repo for packages that need
to be rebuilt for Stream for rpmfusion free and nonfree?

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
profile: https://keyoxide.org/michel@michel-slm.name