[CentOS-devel] Documenting the CentOS Linux 8 EOL process

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 23:24:43 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 4:36 PM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> Other than the kernels, I'm sorry but you would be hard pressed to find
> something in Stream that doesn't also happen in CentOS and even RHEL.
> It just happens a month or two earlier in Stream.  BUT, so do bugfixes :)

I hope you understand that we expect both gross and subtle failures of
the beta testing in CentOS 8 Stream. I expect it with python modules,
when the author of one module fails to restrict versions of other
modules, especially modules brought in by dependencies, to versions
that are compatible because they cannot *predict* that the next
version will be compatible. It can be very difficult to anticipate
those: ansible is a great example right now, since the latest ansible
release requires python 3.8 and the panoply of necessary modules are
not yet available anywhere.

It's one of the dangers of the "streaming" model, when unanticipated
dependencies are discovered in the field.  It's why I expect people to
use rsync or reposync tools to generate internal mirrors with locked
snapshots, which they used to do with CentOS point releases.