[CentOS-devel] C8 EOL DRAFT announcement

Mon Jul 19 19:58:43 UTC 2021
Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com>

Hi, folks,

following up from the discussion over the last two weeks about the
CentOS 8 EOL announcement, and specific details of that plan, I wanted
to share with you this DRAFT announcement, for commentary.

It's worth noting that certain aspects of this draft are not negotiable.
Specifically:

* We will not ship further updates after the EOL date
* We will not automatically migrate CentOS Linux 8 users to CentOS Stream 8

However, other suggestions, clarifications, and edits are welcome, with
the goal of removing any ambiguity or misunderstanding that might occur
from a poorly worded message.

-------

DRAFT BEGINS: CentOS 8 EOL messaging

CentOS Linux 8 will reach End Of Life (EOL) on December 31st, 2021.
Here’s what that means.

In line with the EOL of previous releases, we will NOT be automatically
migrating anyone to the next version (which is CentOS Stream 8 in this
case).

We will be shipping a rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 8.5
once it is released, even if that means that this is released slightly
after the EOL date.

The release of a RHEL point release is often accompanied, immediately
afterwards, by a set of zero-day updates. We will be providing this
content as part of the final CentOS Linux 8 release. There will,
however, be no more updates to the CentOS Linux 8 content after that time.

Additionally, with this deadline falling during a time when many of our
team, as well as many of our users, will be out of the office, we intend
to bend the usual EOL process by keeping this content available until
January 31st.

At that time, or in the event of a serious security bug in this time
window (Defined as anything with a VCSS v3 score of 9 or greater), this
content will be removed from our mirrors, and moved to vault.centos.org
where it will be archived permanently, since we will not be able to
provide updates to the content after the EOL date.

DRAFT ENDS

-----------------

We are considering shipping a dnf plugin that gives informational
messages about the CL8 EOL, and explain the process for moving to CS8,
for users who are not yet aware of the change. There is some concern
around this plan due to anecdotal evidence that some people automate the
capture and parsing of dnf output, and this might break that. Comments
welcome on this topic, but of course if you’re reading this, you’re
already aware of the EOL, making this a challenging issue to get
feedback on.

We welcome your comments on this proposal, and intend to publish this
more widely after a reasonable comment period.

Thanks!