[CentOS-devel] ANN: Hyperscale (GNOME) Workstation snapshot 20210718 LiveDVD

Sun Jul 18 14:35:43 UTC 2021
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

Hello all,

As I announced a few weeks back[1], the CentOS Hyperscale SIG started
producing an experimental Hyperscale Workstation Spin to showcase the
technologies we're working on to the broader community.

Today, I'm pleased to announce that we've made an updated image to
address some issues present in the first release.

Like before, the spin is currently available here:

* ISO: https://ngompa.fedorapeople.org/centos/hyperscale/CS8-HS-WORK-LIVE-LATESTDEV.iso
* SHA512 checksum:
https://ngompa.fedorapeople.org/centos/hyperscale/CS8-HS-WORK-LIVE-LATESTDEV.iso.sha512

The changes with this build (aside from updated packages):

* The Anaconda installer icon and other branding is now correctly
present and used. Thanks to Alain Reguera Delgado and Carl George for
getting all this in place!

* "dnf upgrade" works now, as we've refreshed our custom version of
the RPM+DNF stack.

* UDisks2 now has its Btrfs module installed out of the box. GNOME
Disks, Cockpit, and others that use UDisks2 will now be able to
properly detect and work with Btrfs (insomuch as the feature have been
implemented in those tools).

The other known issues from the initial announcement[1] are still
present in this release. However, there is a new known issue:

* Blivet is broken with MD devices with names that look like BIOS
drive numbers, causing Anaconda to crash in the process. This is
caused by the blivet rebase from 3.2.x to 3.4.0 without backporting
the fix for this issue and is present in the CentOS Stream 8 software.
Red Hat Bugzilla bug report (with patch):
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1983309

If you find any other issues, we would definitely love to hear about
them! We have a dedicated issue tracker for Hyperscale spins where we
would appreciate bugs to be reported:
https://pagure.io/centos-sig-hyperscale/spin-bugs

We hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making this!

Thanks and best regards,
Neal (on behalf of the CentOS Hyperscale SIG)

[1]: https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2021-June/077079.html