[CentOS-devel] Request for Comment: CentOS Governance docs update

Mon Jul 26 19:33:15 UTC 2021
Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com>

TL;DR:

* New document: https://centos.org/about/governance/board/
* Comments welcome

Background:

Over the past few months, the Board of Directors has asked me to draft
more formal governance/bylaw documents, which define may of the
"everybody just knows" aspects of CentOS governance. This is part of our
ongoing attempt to be more transparent in all aspects of CentOS project
governance.

In my initial work, I am working on three main documents:

* Board of Directors
* Special Interest Groups
* Voting and Consensus

These topics are already covered on the website and wiki, but the
information is scattered across several documents, and is sometimes
confusing and contradictory. This effort attempts to consolidate, and
have one authoritative source.

As such, the document linked above will initially augment, but
eventually replace the following documents:

https://centos.org/about/governance/board-responsibilities/

https://centos.org/about/governance/joining-the-project/

https://centos.org/about/governance/voting/

And presumably others as I continue to look around.

The other two documents mentioned - SIGs and Voting - are next on the
list and I hope to get to them next month some time.

If you are interested in project governance, have opinions about how
things should be, or want to help in any other way, please do let me
know. If enough people show up, we can form some kind of working group
to continue work on this and remove some of the ambiguity around our
governance.