[CentOS-devel] Two directories for 8.4.2105 and 8-stream in the centos mirrors

Thu Jul 8 14:20:16 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 7/8/21 4:48 AM, Burn Alting wrote:
> Recently, it appears that two directories for 8.4 and 8-stream are being
> distributed in the Centos mirrors.
>
> You can't see it if you view the mirrors, but if one downloads the
> filelist.gz file and grep for '^\.\/\.' one will see the directories, with
> content, .8.4.2105 and .8-stream.
>
> Can this be explained? An error or a new distribution concept??
>
> If the latter, then this may have an impact on those who have off-line repos which they manually rebuild.
>
> Rgds

.8.4.2105 is removed.

.8-stream is not shared with external mirrors, it is a way for us to get
mirror.centos.org and msync.centos.org ready for publishing the 8-stream
tree since:

1) it updates much faster than the older Major.Minor scheme
2) installing/updating while the mirrors are updating can be problematic.

So for 8-stream .. we get a good copy of everything, hardlink it to
8-stream and that allows all our mirrors to be updated at one time.

None of this should be on external mirrors as it is excluded from our
exports.

It does how up on our list of files.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes