[CentOS-devel] Updated KDE Plasma Desktop ready for testing on CentOS Stream 8

Fri Jul 23 14:05:21 UTC 2021
Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 6:22 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson at redhat.com> wrote:

> An updated qt5 in CentOS Stream 8 allowed us to update KDE Plasma Desktop.
> I believe everything is in place and ready for use and/or testing.
>
> This is for CentOS Stream 8 only, at this time.
>
> ===How to Install [1]
> = Install epel-release
>    dnf install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm
> = Enable PowerTools
>    dnf config-manager --enable powertools
> = Install KDE
>   dnf group install kde-desktop-environment
> or
>   dnf group install kde-desktop
>   (Optional) dnf group install kde-apps
>   (Optional) dnf group install kde-media
>   (Optional) dnf group install kde-education
>   (Optional) dnf install okular
>   (Optional) dnf group install kde-software-development
>   (Optional) dnf group install kf5-software-development
>
> === KNOWN PACKAGE ISSUES
>
> == UNINSTALLABLE PACKAGES
> * kaccounts-providers - no signon-ui
> * kigo - no gnugo
> * lokalize - no translate-toolkit , needs rebuilding on python3
>
> == UNBUILT PACKAGES
> * polkit-qt5 - need branch and build of polkit-qt-1
> * kde-gtk-config - needs sassc
> * digikam - can't find opencv despite it being installed
>
> == UN-UPDATED PACKAGES (but still install and run)
> * kpmcore - would need a newer util-linux than available in RHEL 8
> * kde-partitionmanager - would need a newer kpmcore

The KPMCore libblkid bump to 2.33.2[1] comes from an issue with
resizing logical partitions[2] that was fixed in 2.33.2[3].

It may be worth asking if this fix can be backported so that we can
relax the dependency and update kde-partitionmanager.

[1]: https://invent.kde.org/system/kpmcore/-/commit/6d272234bbaa98eb580b495392f0c79c01375d66
[2]: https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/issues/745
[3]: https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/commit/590dc5e919d24e530483af24e877aeb6904d00d2