[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: RFC: kmods SIG Proposal

Ken Dreyer

kdreyer at redhat.com
Wed Jun 2 15:49:26 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 10:01 AM Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> I'd love to see how people are building the modules as separate
> packages rather than a whole new kernel (which takes a bit of time and
> CPU resources).

Here's how I did this several years ago when Ceph was not yet included
in RHEL's kernels:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-kmod-rpm/tree/fb4aa09a0638a02e5932382dcbca992e4bbce91b

The "generate-ceph-tarball" shell script extracted the Ceph-specific
files from the kernel Git repository and put them into a small Source0
tarball.

Then I used the "m" config options for the build. For example, for the
libceph module:

  export CONFIG_CEPH_LIB=m

and the kernel Makefile has a "modules" target with the "M" option, like

  make modules M=$PWD/net/ceph/

Hopefully you can borrow this concept for afs and rxrpc.

- Ken