[CentOS-devel] Volunteer(s) wanted to answer questions on Freenode

Fri Jun 25 18:19:04 UTC 2021
Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com>

As you know, several weeks ago we made the choice to move our main IRC
presence from Freenode to Libera.chat due to some changes in the
management of the Freenode network. You can, of course, find details
about that elsewhere.

Meanwhile, due to the name recognition of Freenode, people continue to
show up every day on #centos at Freenode to ask questions, and are met with
silence, because the experts have moved over to Libera. Those users are
therefore not getting their questions answered.

The trouble is, Freenode has a policy that we cannot put the new channel
location (ie, irc.Libera.chat) in the /topic, and attempts to redirect
those people to Libera tend to get people scolded or kicked off channel,
which further worsens these users' experience.

So ... all that to say ... if you are able to answer
beginner-to-intermediate CentOS questions, and are able/willing to hang
out on the #centos channel on freenode.net, your presence would be
welcome. Network staff have confirmed that it's ok to send people to
Libera.chat when we're unable to provide answers, but they would like to
attempt rebuild an expert community there.

I'm hesitantly willing to assume, for the moment, that this is in good
faith - there are, as far as I can tell, some good staff members left
there, and, after all, this is about helping users.