[CentOS-devel] Announcing ROSI - RHEL for Open Source Infrastructure

Rich Bowen

rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Mar 1 18:31:35 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 12:41 PM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
> On Monday, March 1, 2021 8:50 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/21 12:09 PM, redbaronbrowser via CentOS-devel wrote:
>>
>>> FOSS organizations can use RHEL to create a Linux distro project but only if a Red Hat employee is on the goverance board of the project?
>>
>> You have misunderstood.
>>
>> If Alma or Rocky or YourPersonalRebuildProject wishes to use this
>> offering, that's one of the covered use cases. If your reading of the
>> various articles implies differently, then I'm sure we can work to
>> clarify that.
>>
>> Your later quote:
>>
>> Feb 3rd from Red Hat's Bex:
>> "... if that project has the goal of producing a Linux distribution ...
>> don't use Red Hat Subscription Services to create or support your project."
>>
>> ... does not contradict this, as it refers to obtaining SOURCE from
>> subscription services. That has not changed with this new offering.
>
> Thank you for clarifing that.
>
> So what the Feb 3rd blog post was really trying to say is don't use RHEL source RPMs without the debranding?

I do not presume to speak for Red Hat. And I am not in possession of a
RHEL subscription. However, what I understand it to mean is that if
you're going to do a RHEL rebuild project, use git.centos.org not source
you got from your RHEL subscription.

If you are one of the tiny number of people that are 1) doing a RHEL
rebuild and 2) are also a RHEL customer (I would speculate that this
group of people can be counted on one hand) I would encourage you to
speak to your Red Hat representative about this situation, rather than
consulting this list. But that is what I understood from the blog post.