[CentOS-devel] Stream naming

Karsten Wade

kwade at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 17:48:59 UTC 2021

On 3/3/21 6:34 AM, Brian Stinson wrote:
> My suggestion is:
>
> "CentOS Stream 8"

Additionally, this is consistent with the trademark guidelines[1],
although we may need to amend/fix them to make this clear. (They may not
be entirely consistent on this regard and some we have to infer.)

Basically, "CentOS" is the name of the project, and it does not carry a
version number.

The guidelines allow for any number of artifacts (produced things) to
come out of the project and carry a version number, by following the
format of "CentOS Foo N".

My understanding is the guidelines cover this in scope by design, but if
more clarity is needed, we can capture that for the Board to work on[2].

I understand that 'c8s' is there for technical reasons (cf. 'fc' in
Fedora package names); does that mean forevermore that's the way it is?
Or could 'cs9' be a thing?

(I don't care per-se, just that it's clarifying.)

Best regards,

- Karsten

[1] https://www.centos.org/legal/trademarks/

[2] https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issues