[CentOS-devel] CentOS Dojo, May 13th, 14th, online. CFP Now Available

redbaronbrowser

redbaronbrowser at protonmail.com
Mon Mar 8 19:56:26 UTC 2021

On Monday, March 8, 2021 12:55 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/8/21 1:42 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > However, I am currently working in the dark.  There is no transparency
> > into how RH OSPO conducted it's review of services.  And I can't find
> > where the feedback on things Hopin was asked to improve is.
>
> FWIW, Icompletely disagree that you're working in the dark. If you've
> ever run or even attended a virtual event, you are qualified to
> volunteer to do this. I do it solo because I have, so far, not been
> successful in finding other people to step up to volunteer to do it.
>
> And, more importantly, it's your community as much as it is mine, and
> you have the authority to make these decisions too. The only reason that
> I make these decisions unilaterally is that I'm being paid by Red Hat to
> do so, and my calls for volunteers have gone largely unanswered.
>
> The ideal situation for me would be to find volunteers to do every task
> that I currently do - newsletters, events, social media, SIG report
> wrangling, etc, etc, etc - and then I could just drink scotch and watch
> other people get stuff done.
>
> It's quite possible that I don't do enough to expose these
> opportunities. I'll try to do better about that.

I am not trying to make a negative statement about the job you are doing.  Thank you for what you have done for Apache and CentOS events.  As well, thank you for working on the newsletters, social media, etc.

I also wasn't trying to imply it had to be you to give the RH OSPO criteria.  I was hoping they could speak for themselves.  Information on what they are and what they do is here:

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/what-does-open-source-program-office-do

A key point in that article is this:

"That is the most important mission for an OSPO: aligning open source best practices with the business strategy of the organization."

I would like to help with this important mission someone from the OSPO is willing to accept that help.

I have run personal virtual events with jitsi in docker.  I have also attended virtual events.  Having 5-6 presenters is something I have done (which seems to be around were the last Dojo topped out).  I personally have not had anywhere near what I expect was the number of attendees to the dojo.  That will biggest factor on the amount of upstream bandwidth the server requires.

If you want, I can volunteer to reach out to 8x8 Meet to see if they could offer anything for a future dojo.

I would want to know ahead of time how many presenters and attendees you expect to have.  I would be asking for a date we could stress test the service ahead of time before committing to using it for a dojo.  And I would also be asking to be able to upload the recordings to youtube.  Let me know if there is anything else I should be asking for.

Lastly, thanks again for your hard work in providing the transparency you do.