[CentOS-devel] CentOS Dojo, May 13th, 14th, online. CFP Now Available

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Mar 8 20:33:20 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 03:15:34PM -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I would be glad to hear their offering and how it compares to what
> RH OSPO is offering us. Financial considerations are, of course
> important, and if we're going to pay a different service, I am the
> one that holds the budget on that - but I have a lot of autonomy on
> spending that for the benefit of the project community.

For what it's worth, over in Fedora we also 1) would love to use open source
for everything and 2) chose to use HopIn for some of our virtual events.
Our conferences are important to us, but we're not in the conference
business, and we don't require conference hotels to run their systems all on
open source in order to have an in-person event.

Bandwidth is definitely a big concern, but another one is the backend event-
organizer-oriented stuff. Some of the open source approaches I've seen are
basically "scheduled video calls with chat" whereas HopIn has a lot of tools
and backend stuff designed to make life easier for the people running the
event, which is crucial when it's only a handful of volunteers (and even
people paid to work on it don't have the event as their full-time job).

There may be options out there I'm not aware of that have more, but when
evaluating don't forget to keep this in mind when looking at capabilities.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>