[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 9 Buildsystem is publicly viewable

Peter Georg

peter.georg at physik.uni-regensburg.de
Sat May 1 16:58:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have been following the publicly available progress on CentOS Stream 9
for some time now. So far it has been really interesting to get more
information about the process of creating the next major RHEL. Indeed it
also helps to better understand some design decision of the final product.

Lately I have been looking at the available composes at [1] and have one
question about these:

So far there is a repository/compose/folder/whatever-you-name-it
"Everything", which (as the name suggests) simply contains all built
packages including all subpackages. However, it seems (see [2]) that
this will probably not be available in future composes. Is this correct?

I'm asking cause the "Everything" variant would obviously solve the
missing subpackages issue we had to (and still have to) deal with for
CentOS Stream/Linux 8.

In case I got it right: What is the plan to solve the missing
subpackages issue for CentOS Stream 9?

I wanted to ask here to get a little more insight before I start filing
bugs to try getting missing subpackages back into CRB/PowerTools. Just
looking for a few minutes I immediately found a subpackages that was
missing in RHEL 8.0 and people successfully argued to get into
CRB/PowerTools later. In RHEL 9.0 it is now missing again :(

Thanks

Peter

[1] https://composes.stream.centos.org/test/
[2]