[CentOS-devel] CentOS Stream 8 + EPEL?

Carl George

carl at redhat.com
Thu May 13 19:13:26 UTC 2021

The actual EPEL8 builds against RHEL8.  Mock supports configuring a
RHEL subscription [0] (which you can get for free).  Whether or not
mock is going to switch their default EPEL8 config from CL8 to RHEL8
would be a question for mock upstream [1].

As far as just consuming EPEL8, last time I checked 99% of the EPEL8
packages that install correctly on RHEL8 also install correctly on
CS8.  There are a few exceptions for things that link against
libraries that are being rebased in the next RHEL minor release (which
is exposed already in CS8).  There are plans to provide an alternative
build target called EPEL8 Next to allow EPEL maintainers the ability
to rebuild those EPEL packages that are affected by this [2].

[0] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki/Feature-rhelchroots
[1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock
[2] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/epel-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/NYXQNQFAY44RNCJTP6WLYUGJSQX5XSIX/

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM Mihai Moldovan <ionic at ionic.de> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I've been looking at the current state of mock and noticed that EPEL 8 is
> supported when based off the CentOS 8 repositories, but there is no EPEL Stream
> 8 configuration or the like.
>
> Given that CentOS 8 is supposed to be EOL in half a year, what's the status on
> using CentOS Stream 8 with EPEL?
>
> (Yes, I'm aware of the usual disclaimer that EPEL is handled by the Fedora
> Project, but I figure that the overlap on this list is big enough.)
>

> Mihai

Carl George