[CentOS-devel] Can CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo be populated

Troy Dawson

tdawson at redhat.com
Mon May 17 17:49:22 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 10:41 AM Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:

> On 17/05/2021 14:32, Troy Dawson wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 6:22 AM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org
> > <mailto:arrfab at centos.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 17/05/2021 15:10, Troy Dawson wrote:
> >      >
> >      > On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 6:47 AM Leon Fauster via CentOS-devel
> >      > <centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>
> >     <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org <mailto:centos-devel at centos.org>>>
> >     wrote:
> >      >
> >      >     On 15.05.21 06:51, Troy Dawson wrote:
> >      >     > Back when the CentOS 8 Devel repo[1] was originally
> >     introduced, the
> >      >     > CentOS Stream 8 Devel repo[2] was kept empty.
> >      >     > Now that CentOS 8 is going away, and we are expected to
> >     develop on
> >      >     > CentOS Stream 8, could we please get CentOS Stream 8 Devel
> >     populated
> >      >     > with the same packages it once had.
> >      >     >
> >      >     > I know there is an initiative for all the missing -devel
> >     packages to
> >      >     > appear somewhere at sometime.  But here is my problem.
> >      >     > I'm trying to get KDE rebuilt for CentOS Stream 8 due to the
> >      >     updated qt5
> >      >     > that is now in Stream.
> >      >     > plasma-nm, a fairly important piece of KDE, requires
> >      >     > mobile-broadband-provider-info-devel which is in the Devel
> >     repo.
> >      >     >  From what I see, the fastest way to get
> >      >     > mobile-broadband-provider-info-devel somewhere that I can
> >     consume
> >      >     it on
> >      >     > Stream is via the Devel repo.
> >      >     > Thus my question.
> >      >     >
> >      >     > Can we get CentOS Stream 8 Devel populated with whatever is
> >     in the
> >      >     > regular Devel repo.
> >      >     >
> >      >     > Thanks
> >      >     > Troy Dawson
> >      >     >
> >      >     > [1] -
> >     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>
> >      >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>>
> >      >     >
> >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>
> >      >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>>>
> >      >     > [2] -
> >      >
> >     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >     <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8-stream/Devel/x86_64/os/Packages/>
> >      >
> >       <
> [...]
Actually, you understood it correctly.

It seems an email got misplaced.  When it was announced that CentOS Stream
9 koji build system, including the buildroot, was now publically available,
there was also supposed to be a similar announcement concerning CentOS
Stream 8.  For some reason, that announcement failed to get sent.

So, you are correct, there currently is a way for the EPEL community (or
COPR, or whoever wants) to get access to the CentOS Stream 8 build system
and complete  buildroot.  I simply was not aware of it.

I will bring this up with the EPEL community, especially those setting up
epel-next.

Sorry for all the noise.  But ... now we (I) know.

Troy