[CentOS-devel] [EXT] Re: RFC: Stream Kernel SIG Proposal

Davide Cavalca

dcavalca at fb.com
Tue May 18 16:19:33 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-05-18 at 12:43 +0200, Peter Georg wrote:

> Short update on this matter:
> I have updated the packages listed above (and a few more) locally for
> every kernel release since February: So far there have only been two
> cases that required manual work: i) megaraid patches had to be adapted
> for kernel 4.18.0-301.1 as previously deprecated and disabled adapters
> have been re-enabled. ii) wireguard had to be updated to the latest
> upstream release to work with kernel 4.18.0-301.1 (the first kernel
> release that changed RHEL_MINOR to 5).
>
> In all other cases I have been able to automate rebuilding these kernel
> modules for every newly released kernel version. Hence I see no reason
> why this could not also be done within CBS.
>
> Concerning the CBS infrastructure I assume there are no issues either,
> or at least no issues the Hyperscale SIG doesn't have to deal with as
> well to provide an alternative kernel. Note: I'm currently not signing
> any kmod.

Kernel builds in CBS should work, we did a PoC a while ago in
Hyperscale at https://cbs.centos.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2476549
though we still need to productionize it. However, you will not be able
to sign them, so Secure Boot won't work properly. See
https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/307 for that.

Cheers
Davide